Sunday, June 03, 2007

Injured.

Ah. I am broken. Yesterday afternoon I did some horrible thing to my foot, bent it at an obscene angle, and now I am all sorts of broken. I am not sure what's wrong with my foot, yet. But it sucks. Which leads me to wonder..

How do all these wrestlers go about with their daily wrestling routine knowing that quite certainly there will be an injury somewhere around the corner. So many wrestlers get some sort of horrible injury along the way. One of my favorite female wrestlers, Rebbecca Knox, was injured a little bit ago. From what I've heard, hasn't made it back to the ring since. She writes in her journal at her site:

"I am very upset I have to write this email because I have to cancel all future dates until December. I am not sure if you had heard about the knock to the head I got in Germany a few weeks ago or not, but I got a bad cut above the eye and it was stitched up and all seemed fine. But after a few days I was getting extremely painful headaches, loud buzzing in my left ear and my vision in my left eye is completely blurred. The doctor has told me it may be damage to the 8th cranial nerve and I am waiting for a ct brain scan and have been adviced to stop wrsetling for the next few months. It could be permanent or it could go away by itself. but untill all signs have been allevated I will not be able to engage in any heavy physical activity"

Then there is an old friend of mine.. He was the head bootcamp trainer at APW for a while, and also led a fantastic wrestling career of his own. He suffered repeated concussions while wrestling, and in the end of things, began having blackouts and intense head-aches. He was in pretty bad shape, and decided to retire. It was an emotional occasion. He was beloved by his co-workers, and adored by his fans. But losing him in the ring was a much better than losing him in life. He retired, and it was probably for the better. Yet.. A few years later, there he was.. Back in the ring! Which makes me wonder what it is about wrestling that makes people risk FURTHER injuring themselves. I have heard from many, many people that wrestling runs in one's blood. Maybe there is some truth to that.

In any case. My foot hurts. I am going to go put some ice on it.

No comments: